This Zucchini Recipe with pesto ‘zoodles’ and almond crusted baked cod is easy to make and perfect for a quick midweek dinner. And of course it’s gluten free!
Ingredients for Pesto Zoodles and Almond Crusted Cod
For the Parsley-Pesto Zoodles
- Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles)
- fresh Parsley
- Pine Nuts
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
Baked Almond Crusted Cod
- fresh cod
- fresh parsley
- salt + pepper
Zoodles – Another Gluten Free Pasta Alternative
Transitioning into a gluten free life means that I am always trying to find gluten free alternatives to traditional glutenous recipes.
And in our house, we love pasta! Therefore after going gluten-free, it became super important to find simple and delicious alternatives to traditional pasta recipes.
A few months ago I picked up a fresh package of zucchini style noodles from Trader Joe’s. If you don’t live near Trader Joe’s try this one from Target.
More Gluten Free Pasta Alternatives
- Pear and Mascarpone Pasta (made with brown rice spaghetti)
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Black Bean Mushroom Pasta
- Red Lentil Pasta Salad
- Turkey Meatballs
Tips to Cut Down Prep Time
In this recipe I made pesto from scratch. But you can easily pick up delicious store-bought pesto like this one and save yourself time (and dishes).
Parsley pesto is milder than its basil cousin. It’s just as simple to make as traditional pesto.
Fresh (store-bought) spaghetti style zucchini noodles also known as ‘Zoodles’
Baked Almond and Parmesan Crusted Cod
- 1 pounds Cod
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Parsley chopped
Parsley Pesto Zucchini Noodles
- 2 cups fresh parsley basil will work, too
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoon pine nuts walnuts work too
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1/2 Lemon
- 10 ounces Zucchini Noodles fresh
Baking the Cod
- Crack 2 eggs into a shallow bowl and beat lightly. In a separate bowl combine almond flour, grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Next dip the cod into the egg mixture. Then transfer the cod to almond flour and parmesan mixture and coat well. Transfer the cod on the baking sheet.
- Bake the cod for 8-10 minutes. Tip: Turn on the broiler for the last 60 seconds. This will give the crust and extra crunch.
Making the Parsley Pesto
- Combine parsley, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, garlic and salt in a food processor and begin to blend on medium speed. Add olive oil and blend until you’ll see the mixture form a paste-like texture.
Making Pesto Zoodles
- Transfer the pesto into a large non-stick skillet and warm over medium heat. Once the pesto mixture is hot, add the fresh zucchini noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the baked cod from the oven and serve with the hot pesto zucchini noodles. Enjoy!