This Lentil Stew with Chicken Sausage recipe is perfect during the cold season! Serve it over mashed potatoes and you’ve got great comfort food. Best of all the chicken sausage is gluten free!
Lentil Stew with Chicken Sausage – A Twist on Traditional Comfort Food
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my full disclosure policy.
Unlike a traditional stew, this lentil stew recipe has a has a bit sweetness and hint of tart which works really well with the chicken sausage.
And then there are the lentils, I simply love them. Lentils are super budget-friendly and rich in nutrients. Lentils contain (relatively) high amounts of protein as well as fiber and vitamin B.
This is a tasty, healthy, and filling recipe and the leftovers keep great overnight. And except for the chicken sausage all of the ingredients are things you’ll likely find in your kitchen.
Chicken Sausage and Lentil Stew
Love this recipe? Pin it to your Dinner Board!
Follow CREATIVE & PRACTICAL on Pinterest
- 1 cup Lentils
- 12 ounces Chicken Sausage
- 3 1/2 cups Chicken Stock. Divided.
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 4 stalks Celery
- 1 cup Baby Carrots
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
How to make Chicken Sausage and Lentil Stew?
- Cook the lentils according to the package instructions.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions, garlic, and celery until tender.
- Add baby carrots, dijon mustard, vinegar, chicken stock, and maple syrup. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Next add the browned sausage and cooked lentils to the mix and cook for another minute. Serve and enjoy.
More simple Recipes
If you’re new to a gluten free life, check out these easy and delicious recipes:
- Pesto Zucchini Noodles (aka Zoodles) with Baked Cod
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Pear and Mascarpone Pasta (made with brown rice spaghetti)
- Red Lentil Pasta Salad
Preparing the Lentils
- 1 cup Lentils
- 3 1/2 cups Chicken Stock divided
Cooking the Lentils
- Rinse and drain the lentils. Bring 3 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add the lentils. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes.
Preparing the Ingredients
- Chop the onion, garlic, celery, and parsley. Slice the baby carrots in half.
Preparing the Stew
- Cut the chicken sausage into 1/4 inch pieces and brown in a large skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet. Once the olive oil is hot, add the chopped onion, garlic, celery. Sauté until the mix is translucent and tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the halved baby carrots, mustard, 1/2 cup chicken stock, vinegar, maple syrup, and salt. Continue to simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Combine the browned chicken sausage and cooked lentils with the vegetables and cook for one minute. Serve and enjoy.